Thursday, June 5, 2008

CHOMP!NG AT THE BIT: Last Night Was Incredible!

(get your mind out of the gutter.)

Last night, I sweated the heads-up match (between David Singer and Jacobo Fernandez) for event #3 (pot limit hold 'em), saw Penn&Teller's ("P&T") show.

While I am not familiar with Jacobo, I have followed David Singer's poker career. I have always thought he was supremely underrated, partly because of his lack of television exposure. You see, David is a stoic and methodical player (in TV terms, "bad TV"). Nowadays, it seems the only way to guarantee TV time is to act like an idiot without any etiquette. I am not making a judgement, just an observation. I understand that poker is poker and it takes all kinds (not to mention that "good TV" is needed in order to keep networks interested in the poker industry. Those are the facts on the ground and the compromise at hand.

(Side note: inappropriate conduct does not bother me at the table. I may not agree with it but I do not let it affect my game, plus tournament directors are handling the situations much better this year. Overall, poker is a game of skill that can develop into an art form, depending on how you play the game and conduct yourself.)

After about an hour of observing the heads-up match, I went to see if I could get a ticket to P&T. Serendipity! One seat, orchestra, front and center. Nice.

Prior to the show, a jazz duo plays onstage while audience members (at the invitation of P&T) come onstage to sign an envelope that will be used later in the show. Most of the audience obliged, as did I. As I stood in line with about 20 there people, I had a strange feeling that everyone was looking at me. Sure enough, they were. How to explain...from time to time in my daily life, a certain incident occurs and on this night, on this stage, it happened. Right there in front of everyone, my feet had a mind of their own, tapping out intricate rhythms in sync to the jazz music.

I used to be a song and dance man. Every so often I get lost in the moment and my feet go to town. A bit embarrassing but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

On to the show. Penn&Teller are masters in the art form of magic. I will not reveal any of the content of their show but you have to be a phenomenal artist to show the audience how you do the trick and STILL blow their collective mind. Not only is there magic stellar but they are adept at weaving serious content into their high-energy/comedic show. Until last night, I have never contemplated philosophy after leaving a magic show. I definitely got my money's worth. I highly recommend Penn&Teller's show at the Rio. (note: this is not a paid advertisement/endorsement)

I headed back to the Amazon Room at the Rio to check on the progress of the Singer vs. Fernandez match. What a battle! In the end, David Singer took home the title and the championship bracelet. (He even cracked a smile after the final card was dealt!) For a recap/transcript of that tournament, go to www.worldseriesofpoker.com. (again, not a paid advertisement/endorsement)

Off to grab some grub, prepare, maybe swing by the PokerRoadRadio broadcast, and then play in event #9 at noon (PT).

Chomp! ~Sammy "The Dentist"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Website Designed by Mark Ledbetter © 2008