Saturday, November 29, 2008

CHOMP!NG AT THE BIT: Zzzzzz

What can I say? After 13 hours of play, my brain failed me as I drifted into automatic-pilot land. 

I misread a situation that led to my demise. Looking back on it, I could have avoided the situation but I rushed my decision-making process. While I do not want to use exhaustion and/or my gurgling dinner as excuses, they were factors in the ultimate outcome. Clearly, not my proudest poker moment (finishing around 55th out of 379 players on a boneheaded play; 40 places got paid). Lesson learned.

* Last hand of the night: my donkification.

Key factors
  • Ante: 500
  • Small blind: 1,500
  • Big blind: 3,000
  • One player has been on tilt for about an hour
  • I have been extremely tight and have a solid table image (big cards, solid hands, aces, not getting out of line)
Action folds around to me and I preflop raise to T$8,000. The SB folds and the BB (player on tilt) calls. Pot contains a total of T$22,500 (T$5,000 in antes, T$4,500 in blinds, my bet of T$8,000 and his call of T$5,000 more).

Flop comes down Ac 8c Ts. BB checks. I bet T$10,000 to represent the Ace. BB raises to a total of T$25,000, in a manner similar to his previous blowups/folds to a reraise. This is where I made my mistake; my instinct may have been correct but my process was not.

I did not take time to adequately assess the situation. I should have already known how much he had behind. I should have already known how much leverage I had left. I should have taken my time to calculate my options and the probability of each result.

Instead, I allowed my tired brain to go on autopilot and reraise all-in (for an additional T$30,000) to push him off the hand (as others had previously done). 

Flop: Ac 8c Ts

He snap called my all-in and I knew I was on my way out the door. He turned up two pair: As Th. I turned up a ridiculous gut-shot draw: Ks Qc. The turn and river were no help.

What was I thinking? I wasn't and I justly paid the price for my fatuousness: all out.

Yawnnnnnn!

~Sammy "The Dentist"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Website Designed by Mark Ledbetter © 2008