Sunday, June 8, 2008

CHOMP!NG AT THE BIT: It's the Journey, Not the Destination

My game is sharp...the results will come.

Today, I decided to execute a new strategy for me. Having played the same structure yesterday, I gleaned some important information regarding the structure and the order of the table breakdown (I will call this confluence of events "crunch time"). There comes a point in the tournament where it is not enough to play well and incrementally build your stack. Sure, early on, that approach will work but without an infusion of chips at the table (by busting out players and getting new ones transferred to your table), you are at a supreme disadvantage.

As I started to dip below the average chip stack and the blinds were becoming much higher, I started looking for an opportunity to use the information I learned from the day before and compiled on my opponents today. When the right moment revealed itself, I would be ready to gamble to accumulate chips and soar above (or free-fall into) the chasm of the tournament's crunch time.

Without going into too many specifics, as I will most likely be playing with the same players for the remainder of the week, an opportunity presented itself and I struck...(unfortunately) out.

My read was correct but the outcome not to my liking (had it been, I would have been positioned to go deep in the tourney). These are the leveraged choices we make; play it safe and eek your way through the day with no chance to legitimately contend or seize the moment to maximize your opportunities.

Chomp! ~Sammy "The Dentist"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Website Designed by Mark Ledbetter © 2008