Sunday, November 30, 2008

CHOMP!NG AT THE BIT: A Day of Rest



Special thanks to Joe (at PokerRoad.com) for the logo patches and to Rosemarie for coordinating delivery on a Saturday.



Yesterday did not go as planned but turned out to be just what I needed. After making an early exit from the tournament, I took the rest of the day to cleanse my body and clear my mind.

So, how did the tournament go so wrong, so fast?

The first hand was a bad break.
  • My AKs vs. 88
  • Board ended up A 4 A T 8
  • A well-played hand, shipwrecked by a two-outer
The second hand was a designed play (to capitalize on the situation above) that backfired.
  • My AA vs. 44
  • Board ended up 4 Q 6 8 8
  • As I have mentioned before, I do not go on tilt: simply put, it adds no value at the table
Two hands after the two-outer debacle, I picked up AA. In order to maximize my potential profit early in the tourney, I made it look like I was steaming and overplaying my hand. My plan worked but then backfired when my opponent hit a set (and I misread the situation for my tournament life). I went with what I felt was right at the time. Upon reflection, my true mistake was not in crafting a situation to maximize my profit but in losing sight of the other side of the coin...minimizing a potential loss.

My decision making was not optimal. My judgement was clouded. The solution was clear. Break time.

I do not allow myself to get frustrated at the table. However, it does brew and build and must be released, constructively. Yesterday's events allowed me the opportunity to see that while I have left the day job behind for this vacation, I had yet to truly take a day for myself. Exercise/meditation/massage filled my day, as clarity/peace/joy filled my mind/body/spirit.

Given the chance, would I make a different decision on the hand that busted me out of the tournament? Absolutely. But I am not going to beat myself up over the outcome. I went with my gut and paid the price. I am okay with that because the alternative is far more destructive.

If you trust in your instincts, you will occasionally be disappointed; deny or second guess your instincts and you will never win...in poker or in life.

Chomp! ~Sammy "The Dentist"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Website Designed by Mark Ledbetter © 2008